Re: handling fallback content for still images

From: Philip Taylor (Webmaster) <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 14:25:50 +0100
To: Robert Burns <rob@robburns.com>
CC: public-html@w3.org

Robert Burns wrote:

> Would you mind trying something like this for fallback:
> <picture src="Acid2.png"> <object data="Acid2.png"> <param name="src"
> value="Acid2.png" >fallback </object> </picture>

Just as I think the current debate about what one might
call the XML serialisation of HTML 5 is both premature
and (to be honest) rather pointless, I also think that
worrying about the /names/ of elements is much in the
same category.  That said, every time I read

I wince, because so many images are /not/ pictures in
any sense.  I wonder if we might tentatively adopt

as the name of a container element to augment the current
functionality of

Philip Taylor