Re: DI element [Re: html 5 and accessibility issue]

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 14:58:04 +0300
Cc: "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>
To: Ben Boyle <benjamins.boyle@gmail.com>

On Jul 3, 2007, at 14:44, Ben Boyle wrote:

> On 7/3/07, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:
>> If HTML5 had <di>, the parsing algorithm (and, by consequence, off-
>> the-shelf parsing libraries) would have to add it implicitly or else
>> the document tree would still be able to contain the implicitly
>> grouped case and which would still require app-level handling by the
>> desperate microformat hacker. But if HTML5 did that, the parsing
>> algorithm would not be suitable for existing content in the browser
>> case as Selectors would match differently all of a sudden.
>
> No, I'd want it to work just the same as <tbody>

I just explained why handling it like <tbody> doesn't work.

> (there's no implicit "tbody" in the DOM/API stuff is there?)

The <tbody> element is inferred by the HTML parser if the tags are
absent.

> If the author puts it in, it's
> in the document. If the author omits it, it is not in the document.

With text/html in the standards mode, the <tbody> element is in the
table DOM regardless of whether there was a <tbody> tag in the source.

This is not true for application/xhtml+xml.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi