Re: html 5 and accessibility issue

On 6/30/07 9:53 AM, "aurelien levy" <levy@tektonika.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I will try to resume the accessibility open issue currently in html 5.
>
> the basic fact that currently can have impact on accessibility ( from
> http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/html5/html4-differences/Overview.html)
> :
>
> - |accesskey|

Crazy suggestions for accesskey:

If you're using windows or gnome or konq (I have no idea how to do this with
a mac...and I've used one for 4 years) press the alt key and notice how the
main menu of your application gets activated and now using the arrow keys
you can navigate the main menu of the application. In windows (maybe gnome
and konq too) there should be in each menu item an underlined letter that if
you pressed this key, would activate that menu item  just as if you had
navigated to it with the arrow keys and pressed enter.

I suggest to  make it mandatory that all user agents search through a page's
source and gathers all <menu> items and anything with @accesskey and builds
a native menu in the chrome of the user agent specifically for accessibility
purposes.

I'm quite sure it's easier for a user to navigate the common UI that all
their OS's apps have in common than to try to navigate a web page. If the
navigation of the web page can be clearly put into the chrome itself it
would be super easy to navigate a site.

And in this scenario the @accesskey would indicate which letter of the menu
item would be underlined.

...actually I don't think this idea is crazy anymore...I think it's good.

--
::   thyme online ltd
::   po box cb13650  nassau  the bahamas