Re: DI element [Re: html 5 and accessibility issue]

From: Robert Burns <rob@robburns.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 15:39:05 -0500
Cc: "Andrew Ramsden" <andrew@irama.org>, "Andrew Sidwell" <takkaria@gmail.com>, =?ISO-8859-1?Q? "aur=E9lien_levy" ?= <aurelien.levy@free.fr>, public-html@w3.org
To: Ben Boyle <benjamins.boyle@gmail.com>

On Jul 2, 2007, at 5:58 AM, Ben Boyle wrote:

> I have a use case for this, from a while back where I found it
> difficult to apply the hCard microformat to content marked up with DL
> [1]
>
> Sample HTML:
> <di class="tel">
>  <dt class="type">Fax</dt>
>  <dd class="value">#### ####</dd>
> </di>
>
> Take away the <di> and it becomes necessary to use all kinds of
> redundant tags (or as I was told on the microformats wiki, "don't use
> definition lists in this manner".)
> <dt>Fax</dt>
> ####</span</dd>
>
> That's my use case. I never said it was great :)
>
> [..]
>
> I would use it today, if it were available.

I want to echo Ben's comments and reiterate that it also degrades
gracefully for implementations that do not support it.

Another use case for a term without a description would be a wiki
list where terms were entered to be defined: all part of the same
definition list. Terms may be added to the list, before someone else
may add the description. This seems like a very strong use-case for
the "stupidity" of a term without a description.

Take care,
Rob