Re: <code type="...">

From: Thomas Broyer <t.broyer@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 20:58:35 +0200
To: public-html@w3.org

2007/7/2, Daniel E. Renfer:

> If all my <code> blocks are marked up appropriately, I could easily do
> searches for snippets of code in my posts in javascript. (//code[@type
> = "text/javascript"])

...or with Google Code Search [1] ;-)

The problem is that not all programming languages or machine-readable
languages have a media type (actually only a very few ones have:
text/css, text/html, application/ecmascript, application/json,
model/vrml, application/smil, XML types and that's almost all, at
least if we restrict the list to registered media types: lisp is known
as application/x-lisp, latex is application/x-latex, Troff is known as
application/x-troff but man-pages are application/x-troff-man, etc.)

[1] http://www.google.com/codesearch

--
Thomas Broyer