Re: some thoughts on objections to publishing ""HTML 5 differences from HTML 4"

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 10:30:59 -0700
Cc: "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>
To: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>

On Jul 1, 2007, at 9:55 AM, Laura Carlson wrote:

> Publishing the differences document before coming to consensus on the
> design principles is backward.
>
> No agreed upon principles, at best result in decisions (e.g.
> dropping/adding/changing elements and attributes) without foundation.

I think you may be misunderstanding the goals of the differences
document. This document is not a set of decisions. It's just a
factual description of how the current HTML5 draft differs from HTML
4.01. It does not require any kind of design principles to record
this factual information.

> At worst it results in arbitrary, inconsistent, injust, partial,
> wrong-headed, and discriminating decisions.

I think for this reason we'll want the design principles document to
make further progress on HTML5 itself. However, this should not
affect the differences document, which is purely informative and does
not carry the weight of a formal group decision.

Regards,
Maciej