Re: HTML5 differences from HTML4 editor's draft

Johannes Lichtenberger schrieb:
> On Sunday, 24. June 2007 19:01:09 Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>> Johannes Lichtenberger wrote:
>>> I don't really understand what "The a element without an href attribute
>>> now represents a "placeholder link"." means, I can't really imagine what
>>> a placeholder link should be or what it's used for.
>
> I'm not sure if it's a difference to HTML4 , the recommodation only
> states "Authors may also create an A element that specifies no anchors, i.e.,
> that doesn't specify href,  name, or id. Values for these attributes may be
> set at a later time through scripts.". It seems an a-element without
> attributes in HTML4 hasn't got a special "name" and in my Opionion it's not
> really a link or "placeholder link", I don't think it needs a special name.

I agree. I've been using <a> without attributes for some time, e.g.
<a>dao at design-noir.de</a> plus a script that converts the content and
adds the href attribute. As far as I remember, that's perfectly valid
HTML 4.01 and XHTML 1.0, so I fail to see how HTML 5 makes a difference.

Dao