Re: LONGDESC: some current problems and a proposed solution added to the wiki

From: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 11:10:35 +0100
Cc: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

Phillip TAYLOR wrote:
>>> How realstic is it to expect people to provide alternate content for their Flash content?
>>
>> If we don't give the hooks so to do, totally unreasonable.

It is a reasonable request, it just has to be made easy for authors to
do well, and it needs to be explained to them also that even if they do
it well - they will have to do more to support legacy users of AT with
accessible HTML etc (repeat ad nauseum).

>> If we give them the hooks, and they lose sales or
>> end up in court because they don't use them,
>> not only "reasonable" but the probability
>> that they will provide alternate content for
>> their Flash content is extremely high.
>
> Forcing people to do stuff in this way seems like a bad idea. It also only works for large corperations, not for your average weblog.

I agree, the stick approach will only work in certain situations. Good
will and appealing to the desire some authors have for best practice and
even dare I say craftsmanship - will be more effective.

Josh