Re: html 5 and accessibility issue

From: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 10:48:07 +0100
Cc: public-html@w3.org

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> - Drag and drop API is great but what about people without mouse, is there a keyboard usable drag and drop API, this statement :
>> "On media without a pointing device, the user would probably have to explicitly indicate his intention to perform a drag-and-drop operation, stating what he wishes to drag and what he wishes to drop, respectively." need much more explanation i think
>
> What should it say instead? Has there been research in this area we could use?

Also, Drag and drop functionality is practically useless for non-visual
users. The next best alternative, or what could be considered an
equivalent method, would probably be the ability to cut and paste -
source object to destination, have the object properties revealed to the
screen reader user with appropriate markup and make the destination easy
to navigate to.