Re: html 5 and accessibility issue - need of fallback content

On Jul 1, 2007, at 23:05, Robert Burns wrote:

> * Not adding <embed> as an author conforming element (rather just
> specify UA conforming algorithms for <embed> including adding @alt
> and @longdesc support). Recommend the use of <object><param/
> >ffallback content</object> in the short-term with some other
> simpler solution in the long-term if we think that's necessary.
> 	-  pro: already supported
> 	- pro: provides a mechanism for fallback content that should be
> provided and encouraged by the WG (a fallback mechanism that's much
> simpler than <noembed>)
> 	- con: may be more complicated to author than <embed> for IE (I'm
> not sure if it is, but I could use some help in thinking of a con)

con:
According to http://weblogs.macromedia.com/accessibility/archives/
2005/08/in_search_of_a.cfm Flash embedding methods that don't use
<embed> have worse real-world behavior with AT than the Flish default
embedding markup that uses <embed>.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi