Re: html 5 and accessibility issue - need of fallback content

Philip TAYLOR wrote:

> Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:
>
>> What there is to stop that is that it is not compatible with what
>> browsers currently do (the entire parsing algorithm is backwards
>> compatible with current browsers — if it isn't, the spec needs to be
>> fixed).
>
> "compatible with" /all/ "current browsers", or "compatible with"
> /some/ "current browsers" ?

"Compatible" in this case means "compatible enough with extant content
that existing browsers can implement the spec without significantly
degrading the site compatibility and hence web experience of their
userbase". In practice this means reverse engineering what is done by
browser engines with significant marketshare i.e. Trident, Gecko, Webkit
and Presto. Where the behavior of these agree that behavior is specced
as-is. Where there is disagreement a judgement call on the optimum
behavior is made on a case-by-case basis taking into account whatever
additional information about the pros and cons of each approach is
available. If this judgment turns out to unsatisfactory for some reason
(usually this will be that it turns out to be unimplementable without
breaking significant amounts of existing content), the spec is changed
to improve the behavior.

In the specific case of <embed>, introducing using a lookahead approach
is undesirable because:
a) It is compatible with existing implementations (for example IE7 would
render the "fallback" content in all cases

b) It is expensive to implement. In particular it breaks incremental
rendering since the browser has to wait, possibly till the end of the
file, to discover whether the markup following <embed> should be rendered

--
"Instructions to follow very carefully.
Go to Tesco's.  Go to the coffee aisle.  Look at the instant coffee.