Re: html 5 and accessibility issue - need of fallback content

From: scott lewis <sfl@scotfl.ca>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 10:02:03 -0600
Cc: HTML Working Group <public-html@w3.org>
To: Philip TAYLOR <Philip-and-LeKhanh@Royal-Tunbridge-Wells.Org>

On 1 Jul 2007, at 0837, Philip TAYLOR wrote:

> Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:
>
>> What there is to stop that is that it is not compatible with what
>> browsers currently do (the entire parsing algorithm is backwards
>> compatible with current browsers  if it isn't, the spec needs to
>> be fixed).
>
> "compatible with" /all/ "current browsers", or "compatible with"
> /some/ "current browsers" ?
>
> Philip Taylor

Compatible with the majority of current browsers for the whole of the
spec, and compatible with the overwhelming majority of current
browsers for the majority of the spec. I realize that is vague
language, but unless and until someone builds a compatibility matrix
of every HTML5 feature and every existent UA, I don't think we can be
more specific. However, documenting current practice was a driving
motivation of the WHATWG's HTML5 work, and informs our work through
the "Support Existing Content" design principle.

scott.