Re: html 5 and accessibility issue - need of fallback content

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 12:40:55 +0200, Lachlan Hunt
<lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au> wrote:

> There are various possible solutions that could be considered:
>
> * <noembed>
>    - pro: I think it works in some UAs already (need to test it).
>    - con: no direct association with the specific embed element.

<noembed> is a mechanism to show content for UAs that don't support
<embed> (or when plugins are disabled in the UA), just like <noframes> is
for UAs that don't support frames. It is not fallback content for when
there is no plugin or in the case of a 404 (like e.g. <object> is).

> [...]
> * <embed alt="">
>    - pro: works in Opera already
>    - con: doesn't seem to work in other UAs (need to test).

Works in Lynx too, FWIW.

> [...]

Another option:

  * Use the fallback as HTML, then check if the right plugin exists with
    script, and replace the fallback with an <embed> or <object>.
     - pro: works already
     - con: removing the fallback from the DOM takes away the opportunity
            for e.g. AT to use it instead of the plugin content
     - con: requires scripting

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software