Re: LONGDESC: some current problems and a proposed solution added to the wiki

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 19:19:04 +1000
To: Philip TAYLOR <Philip-and-LeKhanh@Royal-Tunbridge-Wells.Org>

Philip TAYLOR wrote:
> Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>> It is questionable whether embed needs to have fallback content [...]
>
> <embed> /absolutely/ needs fallback content.

For what purpose?  Accessibility, technical limitations, or other?

> To hear someone as knowledgeable as Lachlan argue that it might not
> need fallback content is intensely depressing, harking as it does to
> the pre-accessibility, pre-enlightenment, dark ages ...

The question of whether or not it needs fallback really depends on the
problem you are trying to solve.  If the problem is accessibility, then
it has been stated several times that the plugins and content should be
made accessibile by themselves, which is outside the scope of HTML.  If
it's for technical limitations, then there are various possible
solutions that could be investigated.  But, as I said before, I think
discussion of technical limitations and solutions should be moved to a
separate thread.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/