Re: Versioning information

From: Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 12:23:26 +0200
To: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>
CC: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, Daniel Schattenkirchner <schattenkirchner.daniel@gmx.de>, public-html@w3.org
Laurens Holst wrote:

> Adding a version="1.0", "2.0" attribute is relatively pointless. In
> fact, it will make it harder to implement, because instead of tying in
> different processing models to different namespaces, you then have to
> tie two different processing models into one namespace,

This is not true for HTML/XHTML. There are dozen of HTML variants --
Strict, Transitional, Frameset, 1.1, Print, Basic, MySubsettedHTML, ...
and all of them share single processing model so they reside in a single
namespace. However sometimes you want to make distinction between them
(for example when you edit strict document you probably do not want to
turn it into transitional document, so intelligent editor should disable
transitional elements) and version="..." is very useful for this.

I think that widely adopted best-practice is to change namespace when
processing model/semantic changes.

				Jirka

 OASIS DocBook TC member, W3C Invited Expert, ISO/JTC1/SC34 member
 Want to speak at XML Prague 2007 => http://xmlprague.cz/cfp.html