Re: <abbr>, <acronym> and initialisms

From: Murray Maloney <murray@muzmo.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 12:36:38 -0500
To: HTML WG Public List <public-html@w3.org>

At 02:15 PM 3/29/2007 +0100, Gareth Hay wrote:

>What is WWW then?
>you say it is an initialism, which is an acronym, but then example it
>as an abbreviation and not an acronym later.
>I'm confused?!?!

You say tomato...

WWW is an abbreviation for World Wide Web.
I tend to pronounce WWW as "double-u, double-u, double-u", so it is an
Tim Berners-Lee and some others pronounce WWW as "wuh, wuh, wuh" (sp?),
so to them it might be an acronym.

No matter.

There are two important semantics being conveyed by <acronym>. The first is
the contained text is an abbreviation and the other is that the text is
composed of capitals.
That is my recollection of why we added <acronym> to HTML.

This thread has gone on far too long and is consuming far too much of my
Can we please put it aside for now and come back to it later? I don't think
that anybody
is adding anything new to the discussion except to add their statement of
for one position or another.