Re: [whatwg] <video> element feedback

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 10:22:08 -0500
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>

Henri Sivonen wrote:
> I've asked about this before but I still don't understand it: Why
> doesn't Gecko completely ignore the classid?

Apart from the fact that this would technically be a spec violation, it actually
breaks some pages (because the ActiveX and NPAPI versions of some plug-ins
expose different APIs), last I checked.

>(IIRC, Opera on Mac and Mac IE 5 ignore the classid and dispatch on MIME.)

Which fixes pages that don't use a fallback embed, but breaks some others.  It's
a tradeoff of which exact pages you want to work and how many of them there are...

-Boris