Re: <video> element feedback

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 11:37:55 +0200
To: "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, "Laurens Holst" <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 07:04:33 +0200, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU> wrote:

> Laurens Holst wrote:
>> So, what do you think would be needed to fix this situation.
> In my dream world, IE would support dispatch by MIME type and authors who don't
> care about targeting a specific plug-in binary could just stop using the classid
> mess.

For accessibility it is actually important that the *user* decides what software they use, rather than the author.

>> Or should Internet
>> Explorer fix their behaviour of objects nested in objects (you would
>> still have two nested elements then though), or support finding plugins
>> in the absence of a classid attribute?
> Yes to both, in my opinion.

Likewise. So long as you have IE's broken object behaviour blocking development, we will be in a mess. Chris Wilson points out that they have a responsibility to the part of the web that uses them, but they have a responsibility to deal with major problems, too. And fixing the problems doesn't need to break existing content, it just makes it possible to improve compatibility all around...

chaals@opera.com          Try Opera 9.1     http://opera.com