Re: Multipart response support

From: Gareth Hay <gazhay@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 11:31:33 +0100
Cc: public-html@w3.org
To: Henrik Dvergsdal <henrik.dvergsdal@hibo.no>

On 28 Mar 2007, at 10:12, Henrik Dvergsdal wrote:

> I think we should consider including support for multipart
> - easy preloading of critical components without using JavaScript

Do you mean pre-loading as in 'early asynchronous' loading?
I think this should be left to UA's, who seem to be doing an ok job
at doing this and trying to reduce FOUC problems.

> - improved digital rights management of images etc. without using
> flash or other plug-ins. (No need to make such resources directly
> accessible on the internet.)
DRM should not be encouraged, let alone by an html spec.
It would also be mostly a waste of time anyway, screen grabbing would
remain a way to get the picture.
Perhaps you should stego a copyright into your images?

> - a mechanism for hiding scripts and stylesheets from (average) users.
Again, the UA has to be able to read the script and stylesheet to use
them, so anyone would be able to bypass the security anyway, and
again a lot of effort could be wasted on this.