Re: MostlySemanticMarkup

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 01:44:48 +0200
To: Murray Maloney <murray@muzmo.com>
Cc: public-html@w3.org

Also sprach Murray Maloney:

 > If you really want semantic markup, use XML or SGML.

These days, microformats built on top of HTML provide a better way to
encode semantics, I believe. The big bonus is that your documents are
usable by a billion browsers.

 > It should be noted that we almost didn't have <span> to complement
 > unnecessary to have both and there was no useful distinction
 > between them. As I recall, the CSS camp thought that it would be
 > better to codify the distinction on the CLASS attribute.

I remember fighting for the <c> element as a character-level
alternative to <p>. It was shot down by I18N concerns, I believe.

-h&kon