Re: Deprecate <accronym> (was: Brainstorming - abbreviations)

From: Asbjørn Ulsberg <asbjorn@ulsberg.no>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 01:19:28 +0200
To: "Noah Slater" <nslater@gmail.com>, "Rimantas Liubertas" <rimantas@gmail.com>
Cc: public-html@w3.org

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 01:21:37 +0100, Noah Slater <nslater@gmail.com> wrote:

> The differences are very distinct.

Semantically? Really?

> Acronyms, initialisms. and abbreviations all need to be spoken
> differently.

Isn't that up to Aural CSS and not up to the markup?

> All acronyms are abbreviations.

Let's just settle for <short> and be done with it, eh? It doesn't matter
what the definition of abbreviation, acronym or initialism is as long as
they all fit into the same element, serving the same purpose: giving the
author a mechanism for expanding a word into a more descriptive form.

> People keep forgetting initialisms. There is an important difference.

There is a difference, but is it really that important? Especially
considering how little it is used?

--
Asbjørn Ulsberg     -=|=-    http://virtuelvis.com/quark/