Re: declarative expressons in WF2

Dave Raggett wrote:
> You might say "What's wrong with event handlers?. Everyone in the HTML
> WG is very comfortable with writing scripts for event handlers, so
> what's the problem?"
>
> Well we have a duty of care to the rest of the population who don't know
> and don't care about scripting. If we ignore that duty then the market
> will make a correction. HTML will be sidelined as a delivery format and
> won't be an editing format.

I'm confused about who this popuulation of authors is. By hypothesis they have
the desire to develop a simple web application, but have no knowledge of
programming languages, correct?

Ignoring the issue of whether a declarative syntax actually delivers on the
claimed ease of use, I don't understand how is this target population of authors
is supposed to develop the server-side component of their web-app? They could,
of course, get a third party to implement that, but then why not also have that
third party develop the client-side? I feel like I must be missing something
trivial because my interpretation is that the proposal is aimed at a user base
that does not exist.