Re: Doctypes and the dialects of HTML 5

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 12:21:17 +0300
Cc: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, Daniel Schattenkirchner <schattenkirchner.daniel@gmx.de>, public-html@w3.org
To: Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>

On Mar 25, 2007, at 11:49, Jirka Kosek wrote:

> Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>
>> See the WHATWG FAQ I pointed to in my previous post.  The DOCTYPE is
>> required for HTML due to DOCTYPE sniffing, but it is optional in
>> XHTML
>> because there is no DOCTYPE sniffing and serves no purpose.
>
> If !DOCTYPE is required for HTML then it should allow specifying
> public
> identifier. Otherwise you will not be able to generate HTML5 by
> XSLT --
> in XSLT you can either omit <!DOCTYPE completely or output it with
> public/system identifier(s):
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#section-HTML-Output-Method
>
> In XSLT you are not able to output just:
>
> <!DOCTYPE html>
>
> This is serious limitation of HTML5 as amount of content produced by
> XSLT is enormous.

It is a limitation of XSLT!

This is a non-issue, really. If you are writing XSLT for execution in
the browser (not a great idea), you can output XHTML5 right away. If
you are running XSLT on the server side, just take SAX output from
the XSLT engine and chain a SAX to HTML5 serializer to it. And
there's no good reason why an HTML5 serialization mode could not be
added to the built-in serializers of XSLT engines.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi