Re: Leading the Forefront - with IRC ! ? (fwd)

(resending after first attempt did not go through, even after I confirmed
via the web interface.

[insert observation of aptness here])

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007, Marcos Caceres wrote:

> IRC and mailing lists are accessible and have gotten the job done in the
> past... If it ain't broke, why fix it, right?

I agree that email and IRC are simple tools that get the job done. Seems like
there are a few questions that have emerged:

[1] Should IRC replace phone conferencing?

Personally I am on IRC all day and am very confortable with it, but clearly
there is a VAST difference in the type of communication that happens in a phone
conference vs. IRC, so the idea of replacing one for the other strikes me as
rather radical.

[2] Should we have an online forum (presumably to move most of the email
dialogue into that space)?

My initial feeling is that an online forum would be inappropriate for this
effort. Compared to this email list, it would result in considerable
segmentation of the dialogue.

[3] Should we have any other tools at our disposal?

I think a wiki would be very appropriate. A space to develop and annotate
evolving documents is a perfect fit for an effort seeking to develop standards.
Of course, a wiki can also result in considerable segmentation as well (there
could be 3 parallel groups of people evolving a forms standard, all unaware of
one another). But I don't imagine that's a problem that this small and
media-literate community will have.

--
John Bachir
http://lyceum.ibiblio.org/