Re: Leading the Forefront - with IRC ! ?

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 22:02:53 +0100, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:

> On Mar 23, 2007, at 1:32 PM, Chris Wilson wrote:
>
>> I do think the archive needs much better software, though, and
>> that would probably bridge the gap.
>
> A good archive interface that also lets you post to the list from the
> archive view would, I think, remove any need for a forum.

The archive view includes an option to reply, after the message. Which adds the foo that handles threading, if your mail client is sufficiently powerful. Of the various mailing list archive systems I have seen, it is the best I have come across (which is not to say it is perfect).

> And I too find it much harder to follow anything that's not in email.

Likewise. One of the things I appreciate is the tracker tool, which W3C has available, that can be told to send email about issue and action tracking.

The set of tools W3C makes available and integrates with mail and IRC is, in my opinion, the best infrastructure for managing information over the long term that I have found. It still, of course, requires people to do work, but thats inevitable.

cheers

Chaals

chaals@opera.com          Try Opera 9.1     http://opera.com