Re: brainstorming -- SVG

On Mar 23, 2007, at 05:19, Dailey, David P. wrote:

> 1.  SVG - there just has to be a way for HTML and SVG to coexist in
> the
> same document space without nasty problems. HTML and VML coexist quite
> happily (albeit in one browser only). Not understanding all the gears
> and torque and hydrodynamics, our inability to sprinkle SVG into HTML
> inline consistently across browsers, seems rather silly to me.

In the WHATWG context, there has been interest in adding SVG and
MathML to text/html.

http://www.intertwingly.net/blog/2006/11/24/Feedback-on-XHTML
http://www.intertwingly.net/blog/2006/12/05/HOWTO-Embed-MathML-and-
SVG-into-HTML4

Personally, I think the parsing algorithm should be amended to put
subtrees rooted at <svg> and <math> into the SVG and MathML
namespaces, respectively.

http://annevankesteren.nl/2006/03/smil

> 6. Much of the specification of WHATWG's <canvas> is redundant with
> and syntactically inconsistent with SVG.

<canvas> provides a drawing API that is backed by running code in
shipping products. SVG is for serializing vector graphics.

> 7.  If <canvas> is entangled in a patent, as it seems to be, my
> unlawyerly reading of the W3C patent statement
> http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Patent-Policy-20040205/#sec-Licensing
> <http://rockmail.sru.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://
> www.w3.org/Consortium/Patent-Policy-20040205/%23sec-Licensing>
> suggests that the W3C cannot approve it, if an alternative royalty
> free technology exists.

Apple's statement said, translated to non-lawyer English, that they
wouldn't become a problem if this WG adopts <canvas>. Please re-read
Apple's statement.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi