Re: toward an issues list/agenda for the HTML WG

On Thu, 2007-03-22 at 21:57 -0700, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> On Mar 22, 2007, at 8:27 PM, Dan Connolly wrote:
>

> > Teleconferences will be announced with 7 days notice per
> > W3C process.
> > http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/
> > policies.html#GeneralMeetings
> >
> > Even so, when we make decisions, we'll do so...
> > "allowing for remote, asynchronous participation using, for example,
> > email and/or web-based survey techniques"
> > http://www.w3.org/2007/03/HTML-WG-charter.html#decisions
> >
> > That is: a proposal can be generated by a teleconference
> > (or a face-to-face meeting), and then go to email (perhaps
> > email that announces a survey), and then a week or so later
> > I'll announce whether the proposal carried or not. Or if a
> > proposal was announced a week before a meeting, I can announce
> > the results during a meeting. But we won't generate and decide
> > the same proposal in one meeting. We'll always allow a week or
> > so of notice by email for group decisions.
>
> I'm hoping this applies only to issues where we can't reach rough
> consensus without a formal vote. I recommend that we take a vote only
> if someone objects strongly enough on some point that they actually
> ask for a vote. Most things we can probably work out informally.

Yes, I suppose that's worth reiterating too; from the same
#decisions section of the charter...

"We expect that typically, an editor makes an initial proposal, which is
refined in discussion with Working Group members and other reviewers,
and consensus emerges with little formal decision-making."

> Although for larger issues, like "should we adopt HTML5", it might be
> good to have a formal vote just to clearly record the agreement.

Right. In some cases, it'll be worth adding some formality
even though we have consensus.

> Regards,
> Maciej
D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E