Re: toward an issues list/agenda for the HTML WG

On Fri, 2007-03-23 at 03:05 +0100, Daniel Glazman wrote:
> On 22/03/2007 22:22, Dan Connolly wrote:
>
> > In this group, the participants don't sign up for weekly
> > teleconferences when we join the group, but as chair, I still
> > need some sort of regular sync point, so I'm likely
> > to do the IRC-office-hours thing periodically... maybe
> > every week, maybe every other week. I do intend to call
> > teleconferences some weeks. I might try that next week.
>
> I would like to be very clear that IRC cannot fully replace
> conf calls :

I very much agree; I wonder if I have said anything to suggest
otherwise. Perhaps it's just worth re-iterating...

>  during a one hour mandatory conf call as it happens
> in other WG, people present who don't object to decisions agree
> with them. Here, because of time shift, your IRC office hours
> have only little overlap with mine for instance, and I cannot
> consider I agree with something I just did not have the opportunity
> to discuss, only because your days are my nights...
> See the problem, I suppose ? IRC is easy to use, helpful, but that's
> only a tool for brainstorm if you don't use it as a 1 hour conf tool
> and I respectfully suggest we keep it far below the radar compared to
> the mailing-list.

Yes, IRC is great when two people happen to have attention to
spare at the same time, but that's not something to rely on.

Teleconferences will be announced with 7 days notice per
W3C process.
http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/policies.html#GeneralMeetings

Even so, when we make decisions, we'll do so...
"allowing for remote, asynchronous participation using, for example,
email and/or web-based survey techniques"
http://www.w3.org/2007/03/HTML-WG-charter.html#decisions

That is: a proposal can be generated by a teleconference
(or a face-to-face meeting), and then go to email (perhaps
email that announces a survey), and then a week or so later
I'll announce whether the proposal carried or not. Or if a
proposal was announced a week before a meeting, I can announce
the results during a meeting. But we won't generate and decide
the same proposal in one meeting. We'll always allow a week or
so of notice by email for group decisions.

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E