Re: Brainstorming: Best of all Worlds

From: Sebastian Schnitzenbaumer <sebastian@dreamlab.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 18:34:39 +0100
To: Sebastian Schnitzenbaumer <sebastian@dreamlab.net>
CC: public-html@w3.org

expanding... based on discussion of #html-wg today.

Sebastian Schnitzenbaumer schrieb:

> Yes, for example, to start with, specifically:
>
> - XForms Transitional

   	[17:43]	anne: what exactly does XForms
Transitional address that HTML5 doesn't, etc.
[...]
  	[17:43]	schnitz: anne, the expressions that
Dave went to in his last mail?
  	[17:44]	Dave: also separation between
presentation and value stored in DOM

> - XHTML Modularization

  	[17:52]	anne: schnitz, if you're talking about
just grouping some related elements that's already
done
  	[17:53]	schnitz: anne, well, ok, but, I am
generally asking the question, and thats my
message, whether the work of this group will
divide over time with the rest of W3C, or not
  	[17:53]	anne: i've no idea what that means
  	[17:53]	anne: HTML5 is compatible with the DOM,
CSS specifications and is largely compatible with
HTML4 and XHTML1 where these are compatible with
the web...
  	[17:53]	schnitz: anne, so when you say grouping
has been done, has it been done consistent with
M12N for example? Can it be done? Does it make
sense? Maybe? Should we?
  	[17:53]	anne: I don't think M12N makes sense
  	[17:54]	anne: (fwiw)
  	[17:54]	schnitz: anne, ok thats fine
  	[17:54]	schnitz: anne, still, its a valid
question to ask
  	[17:54]	anne: (or the whole XHTML Mod stuff for
that matter)
  	[17:55]	schnitz: its valid as a directional
question, and of course we can dive away into
details, but thats not the point, what I am saying
here, being explicitly general, whether we have a
chance, for the benefit of the overall W3C story,
that those technologies grow together over time,
or not
  	[17:55]	anne: i think it would be better if you
reviewed HTML5 and said what would need to change
in order for it to be more in line
  	[17:55]	schnitz: thats the next step
  	[17:56]	schnitz: first, this is brainstorming
time, I would like to know whether the group feels
at all whether this is a goal worth persueing
  	[17:56]	anne: having everyone agree into
something from which it's not clear what the
consequences are seems silly
  	[17:57]	anne much rather has concrete
suggestions than architectural thoughts
  	[17:57]	Dave: surely thinks about how things
could pan out makes sense and avoids walking
blindfold into dead ends.
[...]