Re: [whatwg] Video proposals

From: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 03:48:46 +0900
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
CC: public-html@w3.org
Anne van Kesteren schreef:
>> Is there going to be an <audio> element as well?
>
> Maybe. It's not entirely clear to me how an <audio> element would work
> and what it's purpose would be.

You do not see a purpose in an <audio> element, but you do see one in
<video>? Exactly the same arguments apply, except that video is pretty
popular nowadays with Youtube and all, and audio less so. Although there
are plenty of Myspace pages with a music player on it.

>> Why not <media>, since the principles of video and audio are
>> basically the same?
>
> Some principles are arguably similar (such as having a timeline).
> However, video can have things like subtitles, has things like
> intrinsic height/width, et cetera.

Audio can have lyrics, just to name something. And meta-information
(ID3) about the title, artist, composer, and also an image (of the cover
of the CD).

~Grauw