Re: Brainstorming - abbreviations

From: Robert Brodrecht <w3c@robertdot.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 18:54:44 -0600 (CST)
To: <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>
Cc: <w3c@robertdot.org>, <asbjorn@ulsberg.no>, <public-html@w3.org>

Laurens Holst wrote:
> Yes, and it would not be backwards compatible with HTML4. That seems
> kind of unacceptable, especially given that we already have <abbr> for
> abbreviations.

True.  In which case, I object to shoehorning the semantics / "gramatics"
of acronym into abbr.  "Short" was generic enough.  "Abbr" isn't, in my
opinion.

In the end, acronym isn't hurting anything by existing.  People who want
to call everything abbr will do it whether or not acronym exists.  Those
of us who want the extra level of specificity can use it.

--
Robert <http://robertdot.org>