Re: Brainstorming - abbreviations

From: Bill Mason <w3c@accessibleinter.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 13:03:16 -0700
To: Sandy Smith <ssmith@forumone.com>
Cc: public-html@w3.org

Sandy Smith wrote:
> A use case for the semantic difference is writing an application to find
> all the acronyms in a document and replace them with their called-out
> equivalents. With <acronym> this is easy. With only <abbr> I have to
> determine whether or not the content looks like an acronym so I'm not
> calling out Mr. or Mrs. by mistake.
>
> If you're going to drop one, I suggest <abbr>, as I have seen far fewer
> cases of people actually marking up an abbreviation than an acronym, and
> far more novel acronyms are used in writing than novel abbreviations
> that would need explaining.

And then what would you do when I asked you to write an application to
find all the abbreviations and replace then with their called-out
equivalents?

Further, web content accessibility guidelines do not, to my knowledge,
make a distinction between needing to "explain" abbreviations that are
"novel" versus all.

--
Bill Mason
Accessible Internet