Re: Brainstorming - abbreviations

Colin Lieberman schreef:
>> I object to a "pronounce" attribute, on the grounds that I say "SQL" as
>> initials. :)  To make the point more general -- whilst such an attribute
>> might be useful for screenreaders to some extent, different people say
>> things different ways.  If one website uses "sequel" and one uses "ess
>> cue ell", I think that would be confusing.
>>

> Fair enough, but if we were chatting face to face, and I asked you
> what your favorite 'sequel' server was, would you really be confused?
> I think most people are quite clever enough to handle those sorts of
> common variations. But, maybe  SQL was a bad example. An
> author-specified pronunciation would be useful for common
> abbreviations like Mr., Sr., etc. (both as an example, and literally
> :) which currently grate on the ears when read by screen readers.

I think you can expect screenreaders to have a big list of abbreviations
and their pronunciation. And if an abbreviation is not on their list, it
can make an educated guess, or the user can add an entry to the list if
it really bothers them. And otherwise, even if the pronunciation is
wrong, it’s still understandable—so what, I also say ‘ess-cue-ell’
instead of ‘sequel’ (I’m Dutch, sorry for that ;p) and people get what I
mean :).

The only thing that would cover all abbreviations completely is to add
some attribute with a indicating how it’s pronounced using phonetic
alphabet. Because any other scheme simply doesn’t cover it. Do you
really think a screenreader can correctly pronounce SQL as ‘sequel’ just
because it’s got an <acronym> tag around it? It will more likely become
something like ‘escuel’ or ‘sekkel’ or whatever. Similarly, SPARQL –
‘sparkle’, SCSI – ‘scuzzy’, XUL – ‘zool’. Not to mention that many
abbreviations have no single way of pronunciation. Take Linux as an
example (although not really an abbreviation, I suppose), which can be
pronounced like ‘leenooks’, ‘linnuks’, ‘lynuks’, etc. [1]

In practice, you cannot expect people to add that level of detail for
abbreviations. Any other indication of pronunciation is only
complicating things and not providing anything close to complete
coverage. Therefore, <acronym> should go, and <abbr> should stay simple
and only have a title attribute for the purpose of indicating its actual
meaning, which is after all what’s really important, in case people do
not know the abbreviation.

Let the speech software handle the problem. They are very likely already
doing it anyway, judging by the amount of websites that actually uses
<abbr> or <acronym> (read: very few do).

~Grauw

[1] http://www.safalra.com/science/linguistics/linux-pronunciation/