HTML parsing, <script>, and document.write() test/issue details?

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 22:03:45 -0500
To: public-html@w3.org

Ian just pointed out that nearly everything is intertwingled
in HTML...

"For example, the HTML parsing rules
are deeply integrated with the handling of <script> elements, due to
document.write()"
  -- http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007JanMar/0096.html

Laurens Holst notes in reply..

"modularisation ... would make it both easier to grasp
as individual chunks, for both the reviewing process and the
implementing process"

I can see how my life would be easier if the pieces could be
split apart. But As Ian notes, "saying it would be nice doesn't make
it happen."

I'd like to know more about the details. I'd particularly appreciate
it if somebody would put together a few test cases that show
how parsing rules are integrated with <script> and document.write().