Re: Preparing to launch the Forms Task Force ...

On Mar 13, 2007, at 11:58 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> The WHATWG isn't going to stop; however, we could, with permission
> from
> Apple, Opera, and Mozilla, have both this HTML working group's
> specification and the WHATWG's specification be the same actual
> document
> (just with different headers and styles). If we do this, I would be
> happy
> to act as editor for this working group's specification, and would
> ensure
> that it and the current Web Applications 1.0 specification stay
> exactly in
> sync (by simply editing one document).

As a web developer, I believe this would be for the best.  It would
drastically reduce the amount of confusion for developers who aren't
well versed in the (eventual) recommendations.  I believe there are
quite a few of us who support having Ian act as editor.  It is the
most logical step to take if we don't want to have a disparate world
wide web.

> If the HTML WG and the WHATWG don't publish the same specification,
> then
> I, on behalf of the WHATWG, will ensure that the two specifications
> remain
> consistent and compatible, by ensuring that the WHATWG
> specification is
> always a strict superset or more detailed version of the HTML WG spec.

Thanks, Ian.  You've put my fears about this to rest.