Re: Underline element.

From: Philip Taylor <pjt47@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 15:37:24 +0000
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
CC: HTMLWG <public-html@w3.org>

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> other, as far as I can tell, is that the latter two are much more
> commonly used, and their associated default formatting has many
> meaningful uses in standard typography.

"much more commonly used" seems inaccurate in general.
http://canvex.lazyilluminati.com/survey/2007-07-17/analyse.cgi/tag/u
(plus obvious URIs for other tags) has data about some collection of
7739 pages:
   <u>: 628 (8% of pages)
   <i>: 1512 (20%)
   <b>: 3785 (49%)
and for comparison:
   <em>: 743 (10%)
   <strong>: 2085 (27%)
so it's not clear that <u> is used that much less than other formatting
elements (whereas it is clear that <s> is used far less).

--
Philip Taylor
pjt47@cam.ac.uk