Re: Underline element.

On Dec 28, 2007, at 11:41 AM, Ben 'Cerbera' Millard wrote:

> Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>> But if some people want [<u>] included, we should focus on finding
>> reasons why it should be included, rather than why it currently
>> hasn't been included.
>
> I had noticed a new round of messages expressing dissatisfaction
> with the WHATWG/HTMLWG process. I thought this small issue about <u>
> would be a neat opportunity to be transparent and show how past
> decisions had been taken?

There's probably more information available for things that have been
included in the spec vs. things that have not been included.
Similarly, there's likely more of a paper trail for issues where
there's been actual disagreement on the right thing to do, than for
ones that seemed uncontroversial.

For both of these reasons I'd guess there's not that much past
discussion of <u> to be found.

Personally I think <u> should remain conforming, if only to give HTML
editing UIs something obvious to insert when the the [U] button is
pressed. At the same time, I agree that underlining non-hyperlink text
in an HTML document is usually a poor practice.

Regards,
Maciej