Re: Underline element.

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 02:21:34 +0100
To: Ben 'Cerbera' Millard <cerbera@projectcerbera.com>
CC: HTMLWG <public-html@w3.org>

Ben 'Cerbera' Millard wrote:
> Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>> <http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20040510.html>
>
> Was that source used when making decisions about <u> in HTML5?

I'm not exactly sure, but there are many reasons that <u> has not been
included.

* Lack of use cases for it.
* Widely considered to be presentational, not semantic.
* Redundant, use CSS instead (or <ins>, if the underline is for
   indicating inserted text).
* Was already deprecated in HTML4.

But if some people want it included, we should focus on finding reasons
why it should be included, rather than why it currently hasn't been
included.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/