Re: Underline element.

Ben 'Cerbera' Millard wrote:
> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> I believe the main reason <u> is not in HTML5 is that usability
>> studies have shown that  users very strongly connotate underlined text
>> with a link.
>
> Can you provide links to these studies? That doesn't mean find some new
> ones; I would like to review the studies used to make this decision.

I'm not sure where to find specific studies on the issue, but Jakob
Nielsen, who is well known for his expertise in usability, has written:

  "Don't underline any text that's not a link, even if your links aren't
   underlined. Reserve underlining for links. Because underlines provide
   a strong perceived affordance of clickability, users will be confused
   and disappointed if underlined text doesn't have an actual affordance
   to match this perception."

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20040510.html

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software