Re: Underline element.

From: Ivan Enderlin <w3c@hoa-project.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 14:23:26 +0100
To: public-html@w3.org
Richard Conyard a écrit :

> Ivan,
>
>    This is because the u element holds no semantic relevance -- e.g.
> it is underlined, but why is it underlined?

If we look for in french typographic rules, we see that the underlined
does not have any sense. But what about english typographic rules ?
The underlined did not exists in typography lead. It's an invention from
typewriter. Indeed, we could not write a bold or italic text, so it was
used to replace bold and italic.
So the underlined has --- generally --- not reason to be used. So why
created <u> tag ?

I don't understand why we created <u> while it's not correct to use.

> If you wish to underline text then CSS text decoration is the way to
> go: http://www.w3schools.com/css/pr_text_text-decoration.asp

I know text-decoration hehe. It's nice :).

> Hope this helps,
>

> Richard.

Regards,
-Ivan