Re: <script> for non-script content

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 00:23:58 +0200
Cc: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Philip Taylor <pjt47@cam.ac.uk>

On Dec 22, 2007, at 00:09, Philip Taylor wrote:

> It may also be used to embed arbitrary textual data in the document
> when user agents are not expected to execute that data, for example
> to be processed by another script.

If we allow the above...

> XHTML documents should not use the script element in this way, as
> techniques such as namespaces and CDATA sections allow better
> solutions.

...we shouldn't include a "should" like that in order to achieve DOM
consistency[1] between the serializations. (Of course, in the XHTML5
case to retain hand-editability properties, the choice of syntactic
escaping sugar can be CDATA.)

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html-design-principles/#dom-consistency
--
Henri Sivonen