Re: Evaluating HTTP Methods in the Spec

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 19:16:31 -0800
Cc: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, "public-html@w3.org Tracking WG" <public-html@w3.org>
To: Adam van den Hoven <adam.vandenhoven@gmail.com>

On Dec 19, 2007, at 9:30 AM, Adam van den Hoven wrote:
> The extra form is meaningless. You might as well have <form
> action="/index.html" method="GET"><input type='submit' value="Go
> Here" /></form> instead of an anchor tag.

It isn't meaningless -- the meaning is that it is not an anchor.

A better design for forms would have placed the method attribute on
the button element (or input type=submit) instead of the form element.
That is, after all, how most other form interfaces work.  I assume
it is too late to fix that bug.  Likewise, a browser standard should
encourage the UI to be standardized by method name so that the user
would not be fooled into making unsafe actions.

....Roy