Re: Evaluating HTTP Methods in the Spec

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 11:08:24 +0100
To: Adam van den Hoven <adam.vandenhoven@gmail.com>
CC: "public-html@w3.org Tracking WG" <public-html@w3.org>

Adam van den Hoven wrote:

>> On 18-Dec-07, at 8:46 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
>>
>> Adam van den Hoven wrote:
>>> 1) Allow a METHOD attribute on any element that allows an HREF or
>>> ACTION attribute (namely 'a' and 'form' tags)
>>
>> No, please do not overload <a>. (You already expected that feedback
>> :-), so I'll not spend time on explaining it here again).
>
> I'm not overloading <a>, or at least unnecessarily so. since I'd like to
> see the explaination, a URL for the conversation would be appreciated.

Yes, you do.

Tons of code out there works under the assumption that a/@href points to
a resource that should be navigated to by getting its representation,
replacing the current document. All this code will do the wrong thing
(== something else than what you want it to do), when getting something like

Besides that, there's a distinction between hyperlinks and buttons for a
reason, and the fact that with some effort you *can* style a button as a
hyperlink doesn't mean it's a good idea (indeed it's a very bad idea),
and there's no reason to make it easier than it is today.

Best regards, Julian