Re: [whatwg] Acronyms & Abbreviations whatwg Digest, Vol 33, Issue 90

From: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 17:57:14 +0000
To: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
CC: "whatwg@whatwg.org List" <whatwg@whatwg.org>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
> I do see drawbacks in retrospectively outlawing one of these forms, but
> I don't see any benefits.

Have not fully followed this thread and am commenting on Chaal's remark,
so apologies if this has been mentioned or covered previously.

I also cannot see much advantage over only having one (abbr) to be a
catchall semantic element for both acronyms and abbreviations. Whether
authors get it or not (in terms of what is what) is in a sense immaterial.

FWIW I would like to see both supported by AT then what they are used
for and how they are used - can be left up to authors.

Josh