Re: Why splitting HTML5 into several specs has failed to work

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 21:05:12 +0000 (UTC)
To: Marghanita da Cruz <marghanita@ramin.com.au>
Cc: "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:

> As a relative new comer to the Spec, I found it difficult to find how it
> had been arrived at or even what the proposed specification was trying
> to achieve.

Yeah, for a project this big it can be hard to track that.

> So, I guess what I would like to see is something along the lines of:
>
> <Link to History/Background, survey results,

There isn't really anything like that to link to, to be honest.

> design principles>

These are relatively new. I'll look into adding a link to them from the
spec, though.

> Text of Standard
> <link to revision1>
> <link to revision2>

There's already a pretty comprehensive set of links to different versions
and version history tools at the top of the spec:

   http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/

> <Link Test Plans>
> <link to examples for authors - test cases for browser developers and people
> trying to select a compliant browser or even implement a feature>

The newly added annotation system makes it possible for us to link to
those on a per-section basis. Unfortunately right now there aren't that
many of them to link to.