Re: DogFood (and inline/block constraints)

From: Dr. Olaf Hoffmann <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 18:19:51 +0100
To: public-html@w3.org

David Carlisle wrote:

>HTML has always stood out amongst marked up document formats in having a
>very restricted content model for paragraphs that doesn't allow block
>level markup. I always viewed div as "p with a fixed content model"
>(which isn't really the intention of div, but a very plausible way of
>using it.)

This depends on the definition or concept, what a paragraph is -
in my language and the types of literature I use paragraphs
(scientific, technical, fiction, general in prose), a paragraph is
a single and short and closed train of thoughts.
Because the intellectual capacities of readers of literature are
typically limited, the author cannot expect, that such a
paragraph containing tables, lists or in general the complete
rest of the world will be understandable as one train of thoughts.
Therefore it typically indicates a bad document structure, if
a paragraph is blown up with anything.

For chapters, sections, subsections etc HTML5 introduces the
section element - having used (la)tex for several texts too, I
know, that this language has a similar concept to structure
text in a useful way and to brace the pleat thoughts of authors
smooth ;o)
Unfortunately HTML5 seems to allow now such clouded
paragraphs, both having inline and block content inside.
This does not really help authors to sort their thoughts to
something with a good structure...