Re: DogFood

From: Sam Ruby <rubys@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 02:51:45 -0500
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, public-html <public-html@w3.org>

Ian Hickson wrote:

>>> <wbr> isn't valid HTML (and never has been).
>> Should it be?  :-)
>>
>> i.e., does it serve a useful purpose?  Does it cause any backwards
>> compatibility problems?
>
> As far as I can tell it's redundant with the Unicode zero width space
> and zero width non-joiner characters.

The issue is that broken browsers display such characters as rectangles
and the like.  Browsers that don't have explicit support <wbr> may or
may not accept the hint, but the result is generally better than with
the Unicode alternative.

Whether it is I've found this to be handy, and I see it recommended from
time to time on the web, for example:

http://gojomo.blogspot.com/2005/03/cross-browser-invisible-word-break-in.html
http://www.quirksmode.org/oddsandends/wbr.html

- Sam Ruby

P.S.  The reason I did not understand the original message is that I do
see wbr mentioned in the current draft of the html5, and I don't see
where it declares that it is an error.