Re: ISSUE-24 (ogg-delete): Request to delete "should support Ogg" clause before publishing FPWD [HTML 5 spec]

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 12:30:27 +0100
To: Olivier GENDRIN <olivier.gendrin@gmail.com>
CC: HTML Issue Tracking WG <public-html@w3.org>

Olivier GENDRIN wrote:
>>> "User agents should support Ogg Theora video and Ogg Vorbis audio, as
>>> well as the Ogg container format." in 3.14.7.1.
>
> Couldn't we replace that sentence by a more general one, speaking
> about 'at least one patent-free format' ?

Other than Ogg Theora and Dirac, which is still under development, there
are very few, if any, other options.  However, those two aren't
patent-free either.  Their known patents are royalty-free, but there is
unfortunately still a risk of submarine patents.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/