Re: let authors choose text/html or application/xhtml+xml (detailed review of section 1. Introduction)

From: Philip TAYLOR <Philip-and-LeKhanh@Royal-Tunbridge-Wells.Org>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 00:40:41 +0100
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
CC: "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>

Dan Connolly wrote:

> XHTML documents served as text/html result in interoperable behavior
> in typical cases, so that constraint is too strong. Please change
> it to "SHOULD be sent..." and "SHOULD NOT be served...".

Yes, but that "interoperable behaviour" is /wrong/ (I've sent
a demo. of this to Richard Ishida [1]).  An XHTML document that
contains, anywhere in the <head> region, a construct of
the form

should automatically terminate the head region at that point
if it is being parsed as HTML; the validator explains this
perfectly (if somewhat opaquely, if you don't know what
you're looking for).  Current browsers do /not/ terminate
the <head> region at this point, but they should.

Philip TAYLOR
--------
[1] http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.rhul.ac.uk/resources/Demo-documents/NET.html