Re: Multilanguage alt/title

From: Robert Burns <rob@robburns.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 21:37:33 -0500
Cc: "Gregory J.Rosmaita" <oedipus@hicom.net>, Olivier GENDRIN <olivier.gendrin@gmail.com>, public-html <public-html@w3.org>
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>

Hi Maciej,

> <embed> is there primarily for content handled by plugins. The best
> plugin markup for degrading gracefully in a wide variety of
> browsers nests <embed> in <object>, and it would be unfortunate to
> make such markup non-conforming, even if you can use <object> alone
> to target newer browsers only.

I understand how <embed> is used, but I don't see any reason to make
it a part of document conformance. Everyone who uses it now uses it
even though its not a part of document conformance. Adding it to
document conformance simply makes the language more complicated
without any benefit whatsoever. If it was a part of the language in
HTML 4.01 it would make sense to remove it now. Why would we add it?
The object element is also for plug-ins. I see no reason to have two
separate elements that serve the same purpose: one with fallback
capabilities and the other without fallback capabilities.

Take care,
Rob